Saturday, April 12, 2014

Camil Cardas - My Writing Process

Many thanks to Martin Woodside for inviting me to this great tour blog, and you can see his response here.

1) What am I working on?  

I have been working for more than two years on a very complex volume of poetry, entitled "6 out of 49". It will be launched in either May or June this year at Bookfest (Bucharest), and in this respect I hold an astonishing degree of appreciation for Tracus Arte Publishing. Having finished this piece of work, I consider my effort of showing off my creation down the market completed. No longer have I any motivation, let alone impulse, to publish my work. I don't want to make a farce out of myself, I need to keep being honest, and feel that publishing would make me imagine a certain kind of audience, leading me to modify my writing so as to suit the expectations of that audience. I don't like that, to be honest.

The good news is, I still write. I work on an extensive volume of prose and poetry (intermingled) called "Calea Shiarpelui" (The Way of the Snakey). This book will be published (hopefully) post mortem, and will comprise all my thoughts, emotions and things. Everything I am is in there. I made sure to have more than one copies of it, and always draw backups.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?  

I strive to undertake to perform to be humble. My last book that I told you about is highly sophisticated. It's all about experiment and experimentation. I spent so much time conceiving it that people would think I didn't have anything else to do besides writing. I sensed the consequences. I am aware that the beauty of it will be discovered later than intended. I come with a fresh new way of both writing and reading poetry, called "VNV" (vrei-nu-vrei or, in English, "WNV" - want-not-want), based on blank spaces and the wonder of words repeatability from verse to verse, favored by Raymond Queneau, too. The uniqueness of sophistication is its simplicity. Want-not-want...

3) Why do I write what I do? 

Because I need to. Writing is part of me. I write on Calea Shiarpelui in Romanian, I blog in English and twit in Danish. Rarely greet I in Greek, but when I do it, it seems like Kazantzakis would have snored too much before sneezing out his "Kalimera", and I'm left without any justification whatsoever. I seldom write left-overs.

4) How does your writing process work?  

Ca pe roate. (in Romanian)
Like a Johnsonian derp. (in English)
Stille or roligt. (in Danish)

(Camil Cardas)

No comments:

Post a Comment